a half of onion; cover with cold water; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours. Strain and discard all the bone mixture. At this point you can make soup, but I find that if I cool it overnight I can skim most of the fat off for a healthier soup. Once the fat is skimmed off you can freeze your stock to use another day if you aren’t making soup immediately. Mine made appx 4 cups of broth.
Last goes in the chicken and the zucchini. Taste and adjust the seasonings, cook until potatoes are soft.
Serve with fresh hot biscuits or bread and butter. Yummy!
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 cup leftover chicken
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 potatoes, chopped small
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped small
- Chop the potatoes into bite size pieces
- Peel and grate the carrots
- Add seasonings
- Put potatoes and carrots in broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to simmer and cook for 1/2 hour
- Chop Zucchini and break up chicken to bite size pieces and add to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for an additional 10-15 mins.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings
- Soup is done when potatoes are soft.